20091019

Cinnamon Sugar Chips

So, while reading about infant cognition, I started craving a churro. I knew that wasn't a possibility, so my mind wandered to gluten-free snickerdoodles or just vanilla ice cream with cinnamon in it. Then I remembered my corn tortillas for which the clock is ticking! I decided to turn them into cinnamon sugar deliciousness! Easy as can be and very economical, too!

What you'll need:
3 corn tortillas (I used white, but it doesn't matter)
Vegetable oil (around a half-cup)
Ground cinnamon
Sugar

The gear:
A medium sized saucepan
A large slotted spoon
Plate topped with paper towel

Pour the oil into the sauce pan. Make sure you have enough to cover the bottom and come up about an inch or two. Heat the oil on near-high.

Cut your tortillas into eighths. Once oil seems hot, test it with one tortilla triangle. If it bubbles, you are in business! Add two or three more. Once golden brown, quickly remove the chips from the oil with your slotted spoon and drop 'em on the plate. Immediately sprinkle with a good amount of sugar and a little cinnamon. Repeat until you have a plate full of goodness. Give one a little taste. If it is lacking flavor, add more sugar!

These would go lovely with some vanilla ice cream or even a fruit salsa! Double, triple, or even quadruple the recipe if you've got friends coming over!

Enjoy!

1 remarks:

Caitlin said...

This reminds me of my favorite Mexican restaurant in San Diego where they would sell absolutely delicious bunuelos which are pieces of dough tossed in cinnamon sugar. So good!!!