20090611

Dilly Swedish Meatballs

Dear Blogosphere,

Here is the recipe promised. I loved it, but I am a huge fan of dill, so if you aren't I'd cut down a bit on it. The recipe is from Carol Fenster's Gluten-Free Quick and Easy cookbook.

1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup gluten-free bread crumbs (I used Southern Homestyle Tortilla Crumbs instead; these can be found at the Dan's in Olympus Cove)
2 tablespoons dried minced onion
1 large egg, slightly beaten
1 1/2 tablespoons dried dill weed
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup gluten-free beef broth (I use Pacific Natural Foods')
1 cup plain yogurt

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 9x13 inch baking sheet with foil.
2. Combine all ingredients except the broth and yogurt in a large bowl, reserving 2 teaspoons of the dill weed. Shape the mixture into twenty-four 1-inch meatballs. Place the meatballs on the prepared sheet.
3. Bake 20 minutes, or until nicely browned. Remove from oven.
4. In a large skillet whisk together the beef broth, yogurt, and reserved dill weed over medium heat until the mixture is warmed through. If you want a thicker sauce, whisk 1 tablespoon cornstarch into 2 tablespoons of cold water until smooth and then whisk it into the sauce. Continue whisking until the mixture thickens slightly. Place the meatballs in the skillet and heat to serving temperature. Serve the meatballs over cooked rice, hot noodles, or mashed potatoes garnished with a sprinkle of dried dill.

While getting organized and combining the spices, I threw some carrots in olive oil in the oven to roast. Because I like my meat pretty much burnt (extremely well done please!), the meatballs were done at the same time as the carrots. Delicious.

-Natalie

P.S. I've been listening to John Lennon this evening. I had forgotten about "Woman is the 'N' of the World." Lots of food for thought there.

0 remarks: