20111217

3. Have a gluten-free beer tasting.

I decided I wanted to cross an item off my 25 before 25 list before I left Davis for Salt Lake. I had the beer and the snacks for a beer tasting so I went ahead and did it solo.

3. Have a gluten-free beer tasting.

Unfortunately, no one who knew anything about beer tasted with me and my beer drinking experience is extremely limited. When I was 18, I tried a sip of Budweiser, I want to say, when I was making beer-battered onion rings. I didn't particularly like it nor did I drink at the time, so I never tried beer again until a little after my 21st birthday, when I had a Redbridge, thought it was "eh" and gave it to my brother to finish (which often happens with my booze). Anyway, I thought having a tasting might turn me on to beer... keep reading to see if I am now a beer fan!

The contenders:


Redbridge: "Gluten-free sorghum beer made without wheat or barley" made by Anheuser-Busch (found in pretty much any grocery store these days).
Bard's: "The original sorghum malt beer"
and New Grist: "Beer made from sorghum and rice extract. A crisp and refreshing session beer."

The snacks included gluten-free pretzels and bagel chips (yum!!!) and two of my favorite cheeses, probably not wisely paired: brie and Dubliner.

A variety of colors. Two golden, one yellow...
All set up and ready to go!
Redbridge: Smelled very sweet, was bubbly, light, and not very delicious. My least favorite of the three.
Bard's: Smelled sweet, had complex flavors, bitter particularly at the end. It was more interesting than Redbridge but not very... delightful.
and New Grist: Had a very faint, sweet smell. Bitter up front, but does not linger. It was pretty refreshing and definitely my favorite.

The winner is...



That said, the most delicious thing on my table were certainly the pretzels, bagel chips, and cheese. I have three more bottles of beer and would like someone who knows something about beer to tell me which one they prefer and if any of them actually taste like beer... just because I'm curious.

And there we go! #3 knocked off the list!

1. Go backpacking.
2. Walk across the Golden Gate.
3. Have a gluten-free beer tasting. (I don't like beer! 12/17/11)
4. Take a midnight walk on the beach.
5. Make gluten free pasta.
6. Paint.
7. Do an entire roll of instant film using strangers and subjects.
8. Make my own goat cheese.
9. Take the train to Reno.
10. Solve a Rubix cube.
11. Attend Midnight Mass.
12. Pick a pineapple in Hawaii.
13. Host a dinner party.
14. Lose 25 pounds.
15. Get my A1C below 7.5.
16. Take a trip along CA-1.
17. Make gluten free bagels.
18. Go on a Segway tour of San Francisco.
19. Snowshoe.
20. Make my own amazing CrockPot recipe.
21. Camp in Yosemite.
22. Learn to and catch a fish.
24. Make stained glass.
25. Embroider pillow cases.

1 remarks:

Emily said...

It's good to know beer is not for you! Now you don't have to wonder. I had a sip of Chardonay at a party tonight - ugh, yuck. So it is confirmed I don't like wine, actually I don't like any alcoholic beverage if it tastes like it has alcohol in it.