20111223

What a year!

I've been thinking today about how much has happened this year and how different 2011 was from 2010, how different I feel this December versus last. It's been an amazing year. A quick recap of the big things!

January 2011...

I was still living in my old apartment (see here), 390 square feet of happiness but ugly carpet, furniture, and appliances that were dated in not-a-cute way. But I enjoyed it. My first place. PhD applications were in, I was nervously waiting to hear from the five schools I applied to. I was spending lots of time with my friend, Caitlin, who I had good, eye-opening discussions with. Winter quarter was starting and I took one of the most interesting courses of my graduate school career. Mid-January, I found out that I was accepted to the PhD program here at Davis. A huge weight was lifted, I could see my future. I also got into instant photography and got my nose pierced -- because I wasn't sure if I would be staying in California, and it seemed like a bit of California I could take with me. I was "in love" with Ned from Pushing Daisies and dreaming, laughing my way through the series. I also knew, but kept quiet, that my sister was pregnant!

February 2011...

In February, I got even more excited about having a niece or nephew! I remember spending the month looking about baby clothes and other items online. Like adorable infant Armani suits and Dior dresses. Aww! I was also recruited by Davis, which was one of the most fantastic weekends ever. So much wining and dining, feeling excited about continuing at UCD. I spent much of February getting stoked for my travels in March -- including trips to Auburn, Alabama, and Montreal.

March 2011...

I spent March travelling and making a huge, life-altering decision. First trip was to Auburn University, in Alabama. I got into a PhD program there and they recruited me that weekend. I stayed in a gorgeous, old Victorian bed and breakfast and had fascinating conversations with the owner about Alabama, politics, his ideas about development, etc. I met with faculty, two of whom really wanted to work with me and I (of course) was very interested as well. I met with students, explored the town, and thought about a life in Alabama. I drove from Atlanta to Auburn late at night, which was very rewarding, and I also got to visit the World of Coke, which was awesome. After my trip to Auburn, I spent two days in Salt Lake, then two days in Davis, then I was off to Montreal where I presented my research on ethnic differences in dating and body dissatisfaction, and the relationship between those two. I got to explore the city with Mayra. One of my favorite days was when we walked around Old Montreal and stumbled into a gorgeous cafe, where I asked if they had any gluten free treats. The whole cafe was gluten-free! I had a delicious hot chocolate and chocolate mousse. I talked with Mayra about Auburn vs Davis.

April 2011...

I made the decision to stay in Davis! It just felt right. After letting Auburn know, I knew it was the right decision. And I still know it was right, so, so right. My mom got me an early graduation gift of the oh-so-awesome iPad and I hit the ground running, taking a class on aging and adulthood, working on my thesis, and administering a big survey. I struck up conversation with a boy... and while I was having an amazing time at the Happiest Place on Earth, we texted -- I did so very, very slowly earning the title of worst texter ever. This boy and I went on a couple of dates, and I really, really started to like him...

May 2011...

Sean and I kept on dating and I started making plans for graduation and moving! A busy month, with the study, school work, and the wonderful beginnings of an amazing relationship...

June 2011...

I graduated! And my mom and younger sister stayed with me for a few days! We went to San Francisco, with Sean, where we went to the SFMOMA, Twin Peaks, and the Walt Disney Family Museum. And we explored Old Sac. So fun. Then I moved! An intense couple of days/weeks, packing and moving with a trusty Honda Element. Thank goodness for friends who helped me move the big stuff and Sean for helping me build furniture! I spent the first weekend of many with Sean and his siblings in the bay area, full of exploration and fun.

July 2011...

On July 1, my niece was bornSean took me to see the San Francisco Symphony. It was an awesome date! I spent a lot of time studying for prelims. I fell, head over heels, in love with Sean. And at the end of the month, I went home for a great visit! I loved spending time with Daphne. The last couple days I was here, Sean visited! We had great adventures and I think he sort of ended up appreciated Utah, at least!

August 2011...

got a car! I wrote up an abstract for a poster for SRA (which got accepted)! I studied for prelims a lot and made lots of trips to hang out with Sean's family in the bay area!

September 2011...

I made a trip out to the bay area to visit Caitlin and Evan in their new place! So cute. And I got a great tour of Google. Prelims were over, I almost chickened out!, and I was sure I wouldn't pass. It was hell. But everyday after the exam, I was greeted by Sean, once with peanut butter M&Ms! We had adventures to clear my head, like trips to Walmart in Woodland. He was my perfect distraction and support.

October 2011...

A month full of teaching, recovering from prelims... actually, I honestly don't really remember this month very well. Sean and I went wine tasting! And my mom and older sister, along with my niece, visited, doing lots of apartment improvement projects! It was wonderful to have them here!

November 2011...

The challenges of teaching continued but I had lots of fun activities to make life less tedious! I went to the best party of the year. It was wonderful to spend a weekend with Sean and his family and to play such a huge role in his sister's wedding. LOVE! I found out I passed prelims! Sean gave me the incredible presents as early birthday gifts! He also accompanied me home to Salt Lake for Thanksgiving.

December 2011...

We started out the month in San Francisco, with my dad and his wife. We had fun being tourists! It was a nice break before the end of the quarter. The quarter came to a close and I got to spend a lot of time with Sean before coming home for the holidays. We exchanged gifts early. Another wonderful holiday with lots of love and gifts!

It's been an amazing year. Full of family, California, and love. Everything has come together. I am the luckiest girl in the world. Last December, I was a little lost, I didn't know what paths were before me. But looking back, everything happened perfectly with perfect timing. Incredible.

I hope you are having wonderful holidays!

2 remarks:

Cindy said...

This is a wonderful synopsis of a fantastic year. 2011! What a great year!

Emily said...

What a fabulous year! You/we have so much to celebrate!