20091223

Written Wednesday - Sense

I stood on the pier. The waves crashed beneath me. The salty air and distinct smell of the Fisherman's Wharf filled my nostrils. I closed my eyes and felt the wind pick up strands of my hair. I let them go. The wind can take control.

I stood on the golden sand. The cool Atlantic water brushed my feet bringing with it fragile seashells. I would pick them up and look at the intricate patterns that Mother Nature has created. The ocean disappears if you look far enough. But I closed my eyes, and heard the sound of children laughing and screaming with delight as the waves pulled them onto shore.

I laid on the warm, baked rock. The world beneath me. Nothing above but the delicate sky. His arm wrapped around me, we looked to the stars. They gently twinkled above me. I closed my eyes. Nothing. No buzzing, no honking... silence. I opened my eyes. The stars alone were enough.

I planted my feet on the cool, dewy grass. "Where does the dew come from?" I asked my mother. She responded, but I was too fascinated by the feeling of summer. Morning breezes through my bedroom windows and fresh condensation on the lawn. The sound of cars driving through the neighborhood and the taste of lemonade on my tongue. What more does a girl need?

Tears grew in my eyes as I drove up the Silverado Trail. I quickly pulled the car to the side of the road and crawled out. Trespassing into a vineyard, I sat down between the vines and took off my shoes to feel the soil between my toes. I laid down and watched the clouds pass by. I realized that my hope is in the soil, the sand, the grass, the wooden planks beneath me. That my spirit is amongst stars and clouds. That my life is found within the laughter of people, the sweet and sour taste of lemonade, the smells of strange cities, and giving up a little control to the wind.

0 remarks: