20091231

Thankful Thursday - A Year of Gratitude

As it is the last day of 2009, I want to express my thanks to the people, rabbits, and stars that made 2009 a successful and exciting year for me.

I am thankful for...
  • Angie, Carolyn, Ursula, the volunteers, and the incredible children I worked with at Primary Children's. I miss holding infants, losing at video games with those genius 10 year old boys, and learning/improving my poker skills with several patient teens. Some of the most touching moments in my life took place at PCMC.
  • The U of U's FCS department. The professors who helped me through the process of applying and choosing a graduate program (especially Nick and Russ), the research group I was a part of (Jackie, Mike, Beverly, Marissa, and Cheryl), the toddlers from whom I collected stories, the grad students I met (JuleeAnn and Alta), Heather, with whom I had great conversations with when we probably should have been working for Family Retirement Issues, the most helpful people ever (Jenny, Sandra, Sandy, and Ribana), and my fellow fabulous Kappa Omicron Nu members!
  • California tax payers -- thanks, guys!
  • At UC Davis: The members of my cohort: Stephanie, Amy, Erik, Cheryl, Lisa, Mayra, Ina, Diane, and Caitlin. Without them, I would fail. Grad school is a group effort and I am so grateful to be surrounded by intellectual and friendly people. My professors for the first quarter, Larry, Rose, and Kathi, who pushed me straight into the literature. The graduate advisor, Denise... I am so indebted to her! And the other grad students, particularly my peer advisor, Maciel.
  • New and old friends! I want to list you all, but that might become tricky! :-P I keep being reminded that in the gluten-free cookies of life, friends are the chocolate chips! I have so many friends supporting me in my decisions (whether or not they think they are good ones) and always keep me optimistic when things go a little sour. You guys have made me laugh on the roughest days and I have never been without a shoulder to lean on. You make my world.
  • Family. My mom and grandmother made it possible for me, financially and emotionally, to move to Davis. My older sister, Emily, played a huge role in helping me make my decision on where to go and kept me going during the quarter when the going got rough! My younger sister, Ali, who is always a positive and optimistic person, and shares with me fascinating facts -- she's my history teacher! My brother, Wes, who introduced me to a number of things this year... possibly my favorite is Always Sunny! My sweet rabbit, Ben, who is always there to listen. And the newest member of my family, Taylor! He has transformed our family in the best of ways! I am lucky to have a family that believes in me. The only way I can survive in California is by knowing they are my stable home.
  • Finally, my lucky stars. A year of good health, opportunities, friends, family, and experiences. If 2010 is only half as good as 2009, I cannot wait for it to begin!

0 remarks: