20101030

other great things boyd k packer has said

We've always counseled in the Church for our Mexican members to marry Mexicans, our Japanese members to marry Japanese, our Caucasians to marry Caucasians, our Polynesian members to marry Polynesians. The counsel has been wise. You may say again, "Well, I know of exceptions." I do, too, and they've been very successful marriages. I know some of them. You might even say, "I can show you local Church leaders or perhaps even general leaders who have married out of their race." I say, "Yes--exceptions." Then I would remind you of that Relief Society woman's near-scriptural statement, "We'd like to follow the rule first, and then we'll take care of the exceptions."
1977. One year before Black men were allowed to receive the priesthood and ten years after interracial marriages were legalized with Loving v. Virginia.

The counsel has been wise.

Read the speech in full: Follow the Rule.

0 remarks: