20101029

today, tomorrow

I had grad yoga today and Caitlin came along -- she's taking the class, yay! Anyway, today was all about the spine: loosening it up and working on strength. It was really the most relaxing hour and a half that I've had in a long time. It's flow yoga, which as far as I can tell, is pretty low impact and gentle. But still a work out! During one breathing break, I could hear my loud, thumping heartbeat. We mostly flowed in and out of cat and cobra poses. The highlight were the last poses... I can't remember the name, but it's where you twist yourself up, laying down, one leg thrown over the other. Anyway, after all the spine stretching and yoga-style push ups, that stretch was pure heaven. Then we did breathing exercises and the yogi, with her very soothing voice, talked us through the exercise. Deep breaths for about 5-10 minutes, then let your breath return to normal, feeling your abdomen drop to your spine with every breath. Ah, it was so nice to be removed from life for an hour and a half. It made me appreciate my body, which is something I don't do often enough. I can't wait for next Thursday!

Today was a really great day. I only got three hours of sleep which wasn't the greatest, but I had great meetings with some of the fabulous people in my lab and with my thesis adviser. I'm feeling better about life, PhD programs, thesis, and the other projects I have on my plate. This quarter is definitely going to be challenging but I am finally feeling like I'm really going to make it... and possibly make it great. YES!

Tomorrow I have a really fun project to work on. I'm going to go observe high school students at their lunch. I'm going to listen in on their conversations and write a paper about something or another. I'm also planning to go on Monday to do, perhaps, pre- and post-Halloween weekend topics. I'm excited to do it. I am also going to have a draft of my methods and results for my thesis to my adviser tomorrow by midnight. It's going to get done. It's going to get done. It's going to get done.

Have you seen this week's Piled Higher and Deeper?

0 remarks: