20110319

Suck It, Winter Quarter

The Grand Finale
Well, Winter Quarter has finally come to an end. This has been the hardest quarter of grad school thus far. It ended with a bang -- proctoring the final human sexuality exam and handing back 500 papers to 500 students. Above is me with my stack of ~175 6-8 page papers.

So what all happened? Here we go!
  • Finalized a survey and started recruiting for a study on emerging adulthood.
  • Read too much about menarche. About 10 weeks of reading about periods, evolution, and reproductive strategies. This seminar was one of the most interesting in my grad career thus far. I learned a lot, grew as a scholar, and dug deep into my childhood to answer questions. Let's just say I'm an outlier.
  • HUGE paper for that class, a little empirical study on age at menarche, perception of on-time, off-time development, and dating in adolescence. Produced what I thought was a decent draft. Found out it was subpar.
  • Pierced my schnoz. It's pretty darn cute.
  • Learned multilevel modeling, I think. For the final project, I looked at the change in body dissatisfaction over time by ethnicity. I gave a pretty swell presentation, I think, but I have doubts about the quality of my paper. *Sigh*.
  • Hung out with lots of people quite a bit. Mostly working, but hey, social is social!
  • Got accepted to two of the four PhD programs I applied to. 99% sure I've been rejected by the others. But I pay no mind. I'm just happy I got into UC Davis!
  • Recruitment at UC Davis. So much fun.
  • A little drinking, a lot of eating out and about. I went to my first college party. I know, I know, what can I say?
  • And a whole bunch of personal growth.
I still have more work to do -- so no time off until next week. But hey, as long as I'm getting more than 3 hours of sleep per night, I'm a happy Natalie! Yay for winter quarter ending!!

That's the update. I'm back on the map!

3 remarks:

Katie said...

1. Your schnoz is cute.
2. Your presentation was swell.
3. I can't wait to see you tonight!

Emily said...

Congrats on another great quarter! Bravo! See you soon!

Caitlin said...

So happy it's so close to being over! Yay!