20100121

Written Wednesday - Taking Flight


I love taking off in an airplane.

It's so exhilarating. The speed, watching your environment fly past, the sounds, the little bit of fear when you leave earth... it is incredible.

Landing is almost as fun, but those few minutes before you land are amazing too. Close enough to ground, you can see the roads and cars, lights and textures beneath you. There's something so incredible and powerful about seeing the world beneath you. Sometimes I'd love to be a bird. Soar high.

My favorite places to fly into are Sacramento and La Guardia. My sister and I flew into La Guardia a number of years ago at night. It was incredible to see New York City at that time, from that location.

Sacramento has a completely different landscape. It is like an intricate quilt - patches of browns, oranges, and greens. Like I said, there are so many different textures. The patches are separated by roads and rivers. It really is gorgeous.

Of course, I can't not mention Salt Lake City. I haven't flown in this way for a long time, but when you fly from Newark, you go above Logan and south to Salt Lake. I flew in one wintery morning in March. My Rockies, dusted with snow, well, it's home.

I love flying.

(Photo courtesy of www.megascenery.com)

0 remarks: